Libya: Warring sides abandon Geneva peace talks

Officials from Libya’s warring sides have deferred their partaking in peace negotiations conducted by the United Nations to end the war extending to more than 10 months.
The move came amidst reassurances by the UN spokesperson that peace talks would go on.
The leader of the eastern side of the Geneva Committee, Ahmaida Erouhma said his bloc refused to take part in negotiations as the UN allowed only eight from a list of 13 names put forth for the convoy.
Soon after, the globally recognized Government national accord refused to join the negotiations until further progress on military dialogue.
The Tripoli government’s high state council said: “It is in light of conclusions [from military discussions] that the high council would decide to take part or not in political dialogue”.
The move came later when the UN Libya commission said: “senior military figures from both sides agreed to submit a draft ceasefire agreement to their leaderships before meeting again next month”.
The UN aimed to bring together representatives from both sides of Libya to halt the batt;e over Tripoli as military dialogue encompassing political, economic, and military standards.
The UN spokesperson assured that the negotiations would still go on.
Jean El Alam told, “The Libyan political dialogue will go ahead as previously scheduled, on 26 February”.
He said “Many participants have already arrived in Geneva and we hope all invited participants follow suit” while addressing reporters.
Khaled el-Machri, from the GNA-affiliated legislative council, articulated the outcome of political talks would not bound authorities in Tripoli “knowing the military dialogue’s conclusions”.
On the other hand, GNA premier Fayez al-Serraj rebuked rebel military leader Khalifa after as a “war criminal” and called for the withdrawal of his troops as they were a threat to the capital.
Fayez al-Serraj said “The entire world has been able to see the escalation in hostilities and attacks against the capital Tripoli since April 4, 2019”, while talking to the human rights council of the united nations in geneva.
The prime minister of GNA told, “We have repeatedly asked that commissions of inquiry be established to investigate the violations, the forced displacements, the arbitrary detentions, the extrajudicial killings”.
The governemt almost walked out of the peace talks, accused Haftar’s military as they attacked Tripoli’s port right after the peace talks.
The media reported that the United Nations; mission fails to win from either side.
A reporter said, “All evidence would suggest they have come to very little, if anything”. He held “The UN said it handed what they described as a draft agreement to both sides”.
“The UN-recognized government said it wasn’t happy at all, regretting there was nothing concrete enough for them to want to participate in talks scheduled in the political track. An hour or so later, Haftar’s side in Benghazi said they were not going to participate in those talks”.
Several meetings were organized to deal with economic issues including the reasonable distribution of Libya’s resources in Egypt and Tunisia.
The US representative Ghassan Salem assured despite the conflicts on ground, peace talks would continue.
However, Libya’s foreign ministry is awaiting an invitation to join the peace talks or make a decision on whether to attend the negotiations or not.–Worldwide News

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*