Bangladesh has formally objected to Myanmar’s description of Rohingya refugees as “Bengalis” and criticized the limited number of Rohingya recognized by Myanmar as potentially eligible for future repatriation.
In a statement Tuesday, Bangladesh’s Foreign Ministry emphasized that the long-term resolution of the Rohingya crisis depends on their safe, voluntary and dignified return to Myanmar’s Rakhine State.
More than 1.2 million Rohingya refugees have been living in Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar district since 2017, when hundreds of thousands fled Myanmar following a military crackdown, according to UN refugee figures.
Myanmar’s Foreign Ministry recently said it had verified 308,975 displaced people as former residents of Rakhine State. It described the Rohingya as “Bengalis” and said those whose previous residence had been confirmed could be accepted for return once security conditions in Rakhine improved.
Following Myanmar’s announcement, Bangladesh’s Director General for Myanmar Affairs, Md. Toufiq-ur-Rahman, met Myanmar’s ambassador in Dhaka, U Kyaw Soe Moe, to convey the government’s concerns.
Rahman said several claims in Myanmar’s statement were based on inaccurate information, particularly the figures concerning the displaced Rohingya population. He also rejected the use of the term “Bengalis,” emphasizing that the Rohingya have a distinct ethnic identity that Myanmar authorities had recognized in the past.
The Bangladeshi official said records maintained through the UN system provide a more accurate account of the Rohingya population. He urged Myanmar to accelerate the verification process using previously agreed bilateral arrangements.
Bangladesh also asked Myanmar to include children born in refugee camps as well as people who arrived after 2017 following renewed displacement from Rakhine State.
Myanmar’s ambassador said he would communicate Bangladesh’s concerns to the relevant authorities in Myanmar.
NEWS DESK
PRESS UPDATE
